If God is sovereign, then how can we have free will?
This is a question that has puzzled Christians and kept theologians debating for centuries now. On the surface, it seems like a conundrum. Some argue that we must be totally free otherwise we would be like robots. Others have argued for a type of hard determinism that resembles pagan fatalism and fate. Many just throw up their hands in frustration. Is there any way we can know for sure?
In this episode, we start a series where we’ll be taking a deep dive into the mysteries of God’s sovereignty and human responsibility. In this first episode, we’ll start by clearly defining our terms and looking at what is meant by Libertarian Free Will and Biblical Compatibilism – two important phrases in this discussion. From there, we’ll continue by looking at some important Biblical texts and what they clearly teach. We’ll end off this series by contemplating what this means about the fact that evil exists, some pastoral implications and answer some objections.
- What about Free Will?: Reconciling Our Choices with God’s Sovereignty by Scott Christensen
- Willing to Believe: Understanding the Role of the Human Will in Salvation by R.C. Sproul
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer
- What About Evil?: A Defense of God’s Sovereign Glory by Scott Christensen
Articles in this series:
- GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY & HUMAN RESPONSIBILITY | What About Free Will?
- BIBLICAL COMPATIBILISM | How Does Human Freedom & God’s Sovereignty Fit Together?
- GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY IN SALVATION – An Exposition of Romans 8-10
- GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY | Over Who Comes to Faith and Over Evil
- GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY & MAN’S RESPONSIBILITY | Implications, Objections & Resources
Consider supporting at THEOTIVITY.COM/DONATE
Visit theotivity.com for more content. Sign up for our monthly email Newsletter to stay updated on all the latest content. Please consider sharing this episode and leaving a 5-star review on your podcast app to help us grow. Follow us at @theotivity on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Rumble).